Wednesday, February 27, 2013

REVIEW: The Maze Runner by James Dashner

TITLE: The Maze Runner
AUTHOR: James Dashner
PUBLISHED: October 2009
GENRE: YA, Dystopian, Post-Apocalyptic,
SERIES: Book #1 of the Maze Runner Trilogy
WHERE I GOT IT: ebook borrowed from the library
READ FROM: February 24th - 27th 2013.

ABOUT BLURB: Thomas wakes up in a cold dark metal box, not remembering who he was or how he got there. When the box is opened he finds himself in a place called the glade surrounded by a group of boys roughly around his own age. There is no way out of the glade save into a maze that shifts every night. Even that isn't danger free since grievers come out and night and will kill anyone that gets in their path.

EXPECTATIONS: I knew that this was a popular YA series so it peeked my interest. Having just finished 'The Kill Order', I was interested to see where the hype for the series began. The story sounded very unique and interesting to me.

WHAT I LIKED: Wow, just wow. This book kept me on edge from the moment I started reading it. It was really hard to put down. It kept you guessing right from the beginning and I could feel Thomas's frustration at not getting clear answers right away. The whole concept was interesting. I found that just the thought of the slug like creatures they call the grievers sent a chill up my spin every time they were talked about. But then again that makes sense since I really DO NOT like any thing resembling a slug or worm or any other squishy thing like that.

This was one book that I couldn't even puzzle out what was going to happen next since everything was so unexpected. I actually liked the writing in this book better then in 'The Kill Order'.

CHARACTERS: I was intrigued by Thomas's character right from the beginning. We know that he isn't just regular like the other boys but special somehow. I also had a hard time picturing Chuck as a 13 year old in my mind, since he seemed so innocent and defenseless. Every time he was around or mentioned I kept picturing him as a 5 year old. He probably was my second favourite character next to Thomas. I guess maybe that is how we are supposed to picture him though.

HOW IT ENDED: (possible spoilers so read this section with caution if you don't want anything spoiled.) The ending was a surprise but by that time I already figured that there was going to be that twist. I still haven't figured out how this 'test' would help find the cure though or how it is connected to the aftermath of the flare. I hope that in the second book there is more explanation of this. Also having read The Kill Order already I am left to wonder what happened to the little girl that Mark and his friends risked their lives to send through to the people supposedly not effected by the virus. I mean wasn't she supposed to be able to provide a vaccine since she was immune? Why develop this test if they had her? What happened to her? Hopefully some of my questions will be answered in the next book.

FINAL THOUGHTS: I loved this book so much that I rated it 5 stars since it would be something I would definitely consider rereading at some point. It will be interesting down the road to see what I will pick up the second time reading this that I might have missed the first time. I loved the whole mystery of the maze and the metal box. I am looking forward to reading the second in the series.

RATING: 5 out of 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment