Sunday, February 24, 2013

REVIEW: The Kill Order by James Dashner

TITLE: The Kill Order
AUTHOR: James Dashner
PUBLISHED: August 2012
GENRE: YA, Dystopian, Post-Apocalyptic,  
SERIES: Prequel to the Maze Runner Trilogy
WHERE I GOT IT: ebook borrowed from library
READ FROM: February 21 to 24, 2013

ABOUT BLURB: Solar Flares destroy the earth and cause a multitude of problems forcing those left to fight for survival. Mark and his good friend Trina are lucky to be alive, having escaped New York City from flooding caused by the flares. Now they have settled into a community with other survivors trying to piece back together a life empty of family and loved ones. Unfortunately disease is spreading quickly. Mark and Trina are convinced that there is a cure and race to find it before it is to late.

EXPECTATIONS: I was getting set to read the Maze Runner trilogy but discovered that he had written this prequel as well so I thought I would read it first.

CHARACTERS: I'm sad to say that I never really felt too much of a connection to any of the characters besides Mark. I felt like some of them were only there so that something could “happen” to them, sort of like the red shirts in the original Star Trek series.

WHAT I LIKED: I liked how we are thrown into the mist of the story after the flare and how we are slowly shown through flashbacks of Mark how they came to that place. The book really sucked me in right at the beginning. I really liked how the whole thing was like a puzzle slowly coming together.

WHAT I HATED: I didn't like how it seemed to drag on after awhile. I was really hooked at first but there is only so much that I can take a character getting knocked down, punched in the face, getting into a fight or defending himself before it becomes really repetitive. After all of that I want to know why nobody ever commented on the bruises he must have had on his face! It just seemed like it was run here, get into a fight, get away, run here, get into another fight and so on. I get that this is how it probably is in Mark's world giving the circumstances but still it made the book drag on and on.

I also found some interactions between characters, mostly between Alec and Mark to be very awkward and fake. It mostly happened when they were joking with each other. It made me start to hate the characters because of it. By the end I didn't care what happened to them which makes me sad because I really want to love the characters.

HOW IT ENDED: The ending was okay but it seemed to take forever to get to that place. I was relieved when I knew the end was near because like I said before they were constantly in a fight it seemed. I get that it is a chaotic world and that most people have been infected with a disease that made them go crazy but still!

FINAL THOUGHTS: The world they live in is a very interesting place. I view it as a potential future for the world that we live in today if we don't take care of our planet. While I didn't really love this book I am looking forward to reading the Maze Runner trilogy.


RATING: 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment